home about me our home

Friday, February 5, 2010

A B C , 1 2 3!!



For those of you that know me, you know I am slightly obsessed with black and white.  I personally think it is only natural for me to love a letter or a number in black, don't you?  I love the bold look of a letter plaque on the wall. I have an initial in black, of course, on our wall in the familyroom. Not an original idea by any means, but one that I have done for many years.  At one point I counted the the intial that signifies my last name and I actually have seven in my kitchen and family room.  Some might think a bit much but they are scattered about, some in obvious ways, and others more descretely placed.  I, of course, also have monogrammed towels in the bathrooms.  Thanks to the Neiman Marcus Pink sale I keep stocked up on my towels. With all this talk about letters and numbers being used decoratively in a room, I thought I would share some pictures of rooms with letters and numbers used in different ways.


I really like the simplicity of this and it makes me want to go and lay down on that bed!

Love all the different letters and numbers used here.  All different shapes and sizes.  The one large N in yellow is the statement piece here.  It is sleek and contemporary next to the ornate design on the lovely mantel piece.




If I had stairs I would definitely do this, love it!

Simple and easy to do. This would add a little whimsy to a room.

Although I do not know what this rug says, I still enjoy its design.

This is a fun retro design written on the chalkboard! So 1950's

Another easy application done with etched glass.

Look very closely at this placemat. It's lacey pattern is full of numbers.

Found on Etsy
Napkin rings to make any table setting fun!

Nate Berkus' office is so handsome. Notice the numbers on the wall.



Pottery Barn

This is one of my favorite images and one I am keeping in mind for my playroom re-do.


As you can see there are a lot of ways to use letters and numbers to make a room a little more fun and whimsical.

This is my last image and my favorite. I want this somewhere in my yard. It is so fun and whimsical!!

"Enjoy the Process Of: Adding a little whimsy to your rooms with letters and numbers.

Kathysue




17 comments:

Jules said...

Love them all. I also love letters but I now have to add numbers and if and when we have a staircase again I will definitely number each stair....or perhaps a letter for each stair to spell the name of the house or God forbid we had 26 stairs maybe the alphabet...Oh Kathysue I could go on Regards Julienne

Allie and Pattie said...

LOVE them all-I have a THING about monograms. My husband still doesn't quite"get" my penchant for collecting monogrammed linnens even if they're not our initials! LOL
xoxo Pattie

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I wonder why we have such an obsession with numbers and monograms. I love them too. I found a huge "W" and I just had to have it, but I wasn't sure how to display it. Now, thanks to you and your great ideas, I now know what to do.

I love all the photos. My husband doesn't get it either, oh well if we waited on them to "get it" then it would never get done.

Sissie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great post again. I love all of your monograms and letters you use, and these ideas are all wonderful too. Hugs, Marty

Tricia said...

I too have a thing for black and white AND 'abc's' and '123's'...these are some great images you found. If I owned my house I would paint numbers in the stairs today!
Happy Friday Kathysue. :-)

René said...

Fun pictures! I am definitely in a numbers and letters mode now myself.

Thanks for leaving the sweet comment with me the other day!

Have a great weekend!

La Dolfina said...

Yeah!!! for numbers and letters!!
They are so fun and you've have shown us so many wonderful ways to incorporate them into our living spaces... thanks for always sharing so many great ideas and concepts. Loving the Good Life of Design!!
... and if I had a staircase it would be sporting the same look!!
XO

Kat said...

Fun, fun, fun! I love the very first photo - at the beach would be my motto all the time if possible. And doesn't that living room with the seagrass topped table (which I LOVE) just scream Pat to you? Hugs, Kat

Sue said...

I've always loved monogrammed bags, but I never really thought about having letters and numbers around the house until blogging. So far I've only added on sweet little lettered silver dish...but, my eyes have been opened!

Sue

Gypsy Heart said...

I love letters, numbers and black & white! Thanks so much for sharing these photos ~ great ideas to add to my collection.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I love seeing all the ways to use letters and numbers! I loved seeing the word "beach" spelled out, too...:-) Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

xinex said...

Very nice, Kathy Sue! I like those big initials, C and W (my initials!) lol.....Christine

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Hi Kathysue, I love all those initials, too. Don't have any letters just sitting around the house, but I have bought quite a few monogrammed things this past year. Several pillows from Ballard's and some towels from Williams Sonoma. I love monograms now.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathysue...I never knew numbers and letters could be soooo much fun! I'm with you on the NM sales...I hit those for towels, especially when they are having free shipping! :-)

pat said...

Hi Friend,
My very favorite post to date. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,
I wonder why, asks the person who also has an obsession with letters and numbers! Definitely going to have to remember the picture of the patio with the letters. So much fun! Love your blog dear friend, you are doing such a great job!
Pat

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Kathysue, I have just read through the last few posts that I missed, and I've never seen such wonderful inspiration pictures all in one place! I enjoyed myself so much catching up on your blog and getting inspired. Thanks for all of the wonderful photos and for your insightful commentary. laurie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.