home about me our home

Sunday, January 17, 2010

BEFORE YOU SIT DOWN!!

 Do you ever think about the back of your chair back?  Well, as funny as it might sound, I do!
When you walk into a room and see  the back of a chair, do you just pass by, because it really doesn't say, "Look at ME!"  I love to walk into a room where the back of the chair has been addressed in an interesting or an unusual manner. I have few pictures of chair backs in my file that inspire me.  On my someday list I would like to have some chairs that have a number monogrammed on the back.  I just find that so whimsical and fun.  For those of you that don't know me I am obsessed with letters and numbers. I look at the back of my dining room chair as another opportunity to use a monogram of numbers or letters. I also find it quite interesting to use a completely different fabric from the one used on the rest of the chair. I think an overscale pattern is perfect for this affect. So do you ever think of doing something unusual to the back of your chairs?  Take a look at the following photos.  I hope it will inspire you to look at your chair backs differently.

I love this chair! It not only has a different fabric but it also has a monogram. What a perfect combination.



Look at the lovely embroidered leaves on these chair backs. Gorgeous!


Here we have a beautiful, elegant oval back chair that could look quite formal but the small check keeps it more casual and friendly.


I love the use of a sette instead of all matching chairs and this designer took it a step further by putting a different fabric on the back.



These chairs are a good example of using a larger scaled pattern on the backs. The pattern is subtle in color but it is a nice large scale, giving the chair impact.


I am not a girl who likes the color orange but this fabric is amazing. I would love this in a green or a blue for my home.


Slipcovers are used here and each back has been addressed in a fun manor. Notice the jeweled buttons on the chair on the right. Very clever.


Even though this pattern has been used on the front and the back I wanted to show it to you.  I think the large single flower is amazing and it makes this chair stand out as unusual and fun.



Now we are talking Unusual! How interesting to use the silhouettes of chairs on the backs of these slipcovers. Love It!!

Now walk into your rooms and which chair backs could you change to be a Stand-Out!

"Enjoy the Process", Of:  Changing the Backs of your Chairs.

Kathysue

16 comments:

Jeanette said...

Way cool. As a tip from Between Naps on the Porch I have started using the backs of my chairs to decorate....bows, wreaths, etc
Heads up about our $50 give away. Nothing to do but comment.

gafoodies.blogspot.com

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

So beautiful. Makes me want to do something to back of my dining chairs.
Great post and lovely photos.

xinex said...

Lovely, just lovely. Unlike you though, I like the orange....Christine

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Why did you take so long to start a blog? You are a star already! Another great post.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love the backs of chairs! And these are gorgeous! LOVE the monogram! LOVE IT!

Lou Cinda

Blondie's Journal said...

Very inspiring photos!! I recently put slipcovers on some very boring Windsor dining chairs. They could still stand a little creativity so with a little fabric paint, I could do a number or letter...or some bling. You gave me food for thought, Kathysue!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love all the photos Kathysue, they are all just fabulous. What a great idea. I love your slipcovers on your dining chairs and they would look wonderful with something on the back. Such a great idea. You always teach us the neatest things. Hugs, Marty

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Kathysue, those are some beautiful dining rooms. I notice you seem to lean toward white chairs and furniture. It really is crisp and clean looking. Linda

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good morning Kathysue...girl these are all great...Thanks for coming by...hope you have a great day in your part of Ca. its raining like crazy in mine ha ha!! Hey it beats the snow...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Bellen said...

Kathysue - just 'inherited' a not so lovely office chair from my husband to use in my crafting room. To say that this big black chair in ungainly is being nice, however, my back certainly appreciates it. So, all these lovely chairs have given me some really good ideas on restyling my chair to be a real stand out. Thanks :)

La Dolfina said...

Fabulous post!
A very unique and lovely detail indeed!
You are the master teacher. I agree with Room Service...you are a star already!!
Happy Sunday!
xo
Terri

Anonymous said...

What a great post!!!! I love mixing up fabrics on chairs! big hug and thank you for your long time support! xoxoxo
Eddie + Jaithan

Kathysue said...

Eddie and Jaithan, Aaaaah, I can't believe you came by during this busy week to leave a comment. I just love you guys. Good luck on the Bloomingdale's window. Can't wait to see it!! xoxo Kathysue

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Kathy, I want the "whole" first room. Would love to be able to open the doors and let the outdoors come in. Then again we've been under "heavy" fog for the past week, so any kind of blue, or sunshine coming in would be great. The backs of my dining room chairs have the same brocade fabric as the front. I love that they are completely dressed from all sides. Mr. P said when I purchased them, it was the best thing I've ever bought.:-)) High praise from a man at the time, didn't see any sense in changing things around..lol.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad I found you....love this post....and I just LOVE that sette...

All the best,
Kathy :)

Sue said...

This is interesting. I've never really thought about it with the exception of at times for holiday entertaining. There are some really wonderful photos here.

Sue